Phase 1 Desktop Study (Preliminary Risk Assessment) Contaminated Land Reports
We specialise in Phase 1 desktop studies (Preliminary Risk Assessments) as part of contaminated land risk assessment and have successfully undertaken hundreds of Phase 1 desktop study contamination reports for clients throughout the UK and in accordance with Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act. We provide services to a range of clients including landowners and homeowners, developers and local authorities.
The Preliminary Risk Assessment (Phase 1 desktop study) is the first stage of the contaminated land assessment process. This involves analysing historical and environmental information for the site and within a 250 m radius around the site as detailed in CLR11, Model Procedures for the Management of Contaminated Land. A risk assessment report with conceptual site modelling will be undertaken. If this demonstrates no risk from contamination, the planning will be released*.
The cost of the Phase 1 desktop study will vary depending on the size and type of site you have and whether you need a site reconnaissance survey (site walkover survey). Please click on the link above for a quotation or click here to download the Phase 1 Desktop Study information sheet.
If following the Phase 1 desktop study it is considered further assessment work is needed, we provide a tiered approach for the following stages. These may include:
- A Phase 2 intrusive investigation comprising boreholes or trial pits and laboratory analysis. We would liaise with the local authority before undertaking this phase of work.
- Remediation Statement to outline the risks identified in the Phase 2 survey and then detail mitigation measures for risk removal.
- Verification Report to clearly state that the remediation has been undertaken.
This tiered approach provides a cost effective and local-authority-acceptable methodology for addressing the issues relating to contaminated land.
NB The first phase may also be called either a Desktop study, Stage 1a Planning and desk study, Phase 1 Desktop study, Preliminary risk assessment or many other terms depending on the council.
Associated services we undertake:
- Phase 2 intrusive investigations
- Groundwater testing and monitoring
- Ground gas monitoring
- Remediation and validation statements
- Waste Acceptance Criteria (WAC) tests for soil waste classification prior to landfill
*Subject to local authority agreement
Dr Robin Davies BSc PhD MISoilSci PGC Contaminated Land Management
We accept payments from the following cards: