Preliminary Risk Assessment (Phase 1 desktop study) contamination report to address the condition relating to contaminated land in your planning permission.
We specialise in contaminated land risk assessment and have successfully undertaken hundreds of Preliminary Risk Assessment (Phase 1 desktop studies) contamination reports for clients throughout the UK and in accordance with Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act. We provide services to a range of clients including landowners and homeowners, developers and local authorities.
The Preliminary Risk Assessment (Phase 1 desktop study) is the first stage of the contaminated land assessment process. This involves analysing historical and environmental information for the site and within a 250 m radius around the site as detailed in CLR11, Model Procedures for the Management of Contaminated Land. A risk assessment report with conceptual site modelling will be undertaken. If this demonstrates no risk from contamination, the planning will be released*.
The cost of the Phase 1 desktop study will vary depending on the size and type of site you have and whether you need a site reconnaissance survey (site walkover survey). Please click on the link above for a quotation or click here to download the Desktop Study information sheet.
If following the Phase 1 desktop study it is considered further assessment work is needed, we provide a tiered approach for the following stages. These may include:
- A Phase 2 intrusive investigation comprising boreholes or trial pits and laboratory analysis. We would liaise with the local authority before undertaking this phase of work.
- Remediation Statement to outline the risks identified in the Phase 2 survey and then detail mitigation measures for risk removal.
- Verification Report to clearly state that the remediation has been undertaken.
This tiered approach provides a cost effective and local-authority-acceptable methodology for addressing the issues relating to contaminated land.
NB The first phase may also be called either a Desktop study, Stage 1a Planning and desk study, Phase 1 Desktop study, Preliminary risk assessment or many other terms depending on the council.
Associated services we undertake:
- Phase 2 intrusive investigations
- Groundwater testing and monitoring
- Ground gas monitoring
- Remediation and validation statements
- Waste Acceptance Criteria (WAC) tests for soil waste classification prior to landfill
*Subject to local authority agreement
Dr Robin Davies BSc PhD MISoilSci PGC Contaminated Land Management
We accept payments from the following cards: